Mysore to Coorg
When it comes to Karnataka, the place which shines with flamboyance is none other than Mysore. Mysore dazzles with royal heritage and exquisite silk fabric collection. While the affluent hill station Coorg is just 108 km apart, which makes visiting this hill station a must-have point in your bucket list if you are in/around Mysore or planning to visit soon. Kodagu is the anglicized name of Coorg. Coorg is a place of picturesque lush green grasslands as well as shrouded misty hills which would take your breath away. It can be simply quoted as a wonderful destination to awaken and enhance the wanderlust in you.
Prioritize exploring more - The time taken to reach Coorg from Mysore is 2-3 hours. The route is well connected by road. The distance of 108 km can be easily traveled by car. Book a self drive car in Mysore for a round trip from Mysore to Coorg. The alternate way is to board a bus, but it has its own limitations. Isn't it? If you are a diehard nature lover, just like me and want to soak in more into nature then you wouldn't want to miss out on the opportunity of halting at different attractions while your way.
Why is Coorg so special?
Coorg is home to green coffee plantations and pepper vines. A rich history of rituals, temples, and monasteries is just a plus. But, there is much more to do in Coorg which totally deserves to be your next stop. Even if you are still skeptical over planning one, here is a must know things, after which you won't be able to resist the temptation of planning one.
1) Puthhari Festival- It is a harvest festival which is celebrated at the end of November or beginning of December. The celebration inculcates Song and dance representing their culture. If you belong to a city this is something which needs to be witnessed at least once shortly.
2) Bylakuppe- Biggest Tibetan settlement in South India is Bylakuppe. Go to Namdroling monastery, shop handicrafts and savor authentic Tibetan momos. The place is around 90 km from Mysore city, and can be easily reached by road. You can rent a self drive car in Mysore and experience a great short road trip.
3) Coffee- Coorg being the highest producers of coffee in India is famous for its blue colored beans and fine liquoring qualities. The whole place dives into its aroma.
4) Kodava Hockey Festival- Kodava community has a craze for the national sport. This famous tournament takes place every year, which has also been recognized in the Guinness Book of World Records. Among the players, 7 have already participated in the Olympics.
5) Angling- Innumerable professional anglers aim for Mahseer fish. The fishing camp takes place from November to March. Enjoying the picturesque view is just an added advantage.
6) Micro lighting- Enjoy the single or two-seater gliders at Ponnampet and enjoy a bird's-eye view of Coorg. It goes up to 5000 feet and also reaches a top speed of 1000 km/hr. The majestic view is what we die for.
Best time to visit
Coorg is simply perfect for a year-round destination. However, the best time to witness this gorgeous beauty is from September to March. The phase is a peak season for the tourist visiting here from around the world. Getting to witness the gorgeous rainfall in this town is like a win-win situation.
The wide range of accommodation options
Coorg has a wide range of gorgeous accommodation options. Ranging from 5-star luxurious hotels to homestays, Coorg won't disappoint you in terms of accommodation options.
What to eat?
Coorg Cuisine- Kodavas are believed to be the descendants of Alexander the Great. They are indulged into non-veg. Their meat is primarily cooked with a lot of coconut, spices and curry leaves. Pandi Curry, Atti Payasa, Kadubu are the few famous Coorg dishes. The local cuisines are a way to get a step closer to their cultures and livelihood. Kodavas cuisine platter also includes bamboo shoots, mushrooms, jackfruit and raw mangoes.
The quick tit-bits- Kachampuli is a local vinegar which is exquisitely used in Kodavas cuisine. If you want to experience this try staying with a local family, where a cooking class can also be arranged.
Planning the well-timed itinerary
Although even a one day trip would soak you in the panoramic nature. But the ideal trip has to be of 3 to 4 days. You would have plenty of time doing activities and also relaxing. If you are aiming to forego the hustle and bustle of cities, that's what you should aim for.
MUST DO THINGS
1) Trek your way through Brahmagiri Peak- During sunrise, go to Brahmagiri, Talacauvery Hills and go to your way to peak and witness hills covered with lush greenery and shining streams of water.
2) Take a jeep drive to North Coorg- Mandalpatti. Take a majestic view of sky and hills. This pleasant adventurous experience can be indulged in from 7 am to pm at the cost of around Rs.1250 per person.
3) Quad Biking- Enjoy the 15 minutes timed adventurous experience with rubbles and stones, lush green grasslands and beautiful migratory birds midway. Midway.
4) River Rafting- River rafting experience should totally be on your bucket list for a cost of Rs. 1000. Book a suitable time and wear comfortable clothes to enjoy the most.
5) Abbey Falls and Raja's seat- Both of them are Popular for a leisure walk, sightseeing, and relaxing in the lap of nature. Abbey Falls is in the close proximity to the Kali Mata temple.
6) Cauvery Nisargadhama- Head to this place to witness the things this island is famous for. You can do boating, swimming and elephant rides here.
Best suited for
Whether you are looking for a romantic backdrop or just seeking to spend a holiday with your friends. This place is perfectly suitable for every occasion.
Visit Bylakuppe which is supposed to be the biggest Tibetan settlement in South India. Go to Namdroling monastery, shop handicrafts and savor authentic Tibetan momos
Quick handy tips
1) Do check the weather beforehand. Carry light and comfortable clothes.
2) For trekking and other sports activities carry the best pair of shoes.
3) A jacket is must have in your bag, since the place tends to get chilly in the later evening.
This place has so much to offer in the span of 3-4 days. From trekking to river rafting to sightseeing, it has a mix of almost everything. Plan a visit here and get soaked into the lap of nature.